Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I'm back! And, Lent is coming - my favorite season!

This may have been the longest period of time I have gone without writing a blog since I started blogging one year ago. Professional bloggers will tell you that this is "taboo." Professional bloggers blog every day, or at least keep regular intervals. Well, it's official, I am not a professional....

So much has been happening in this little brain of mine, and none of it is translating into a blog entry. Maybe those thoughts will seep out in the coming days, and maybe they won't. Regardless, I only blog when I feel drawn to blog - it is not a job for me; sometimes it is therapy, and sometime it is ministry, and sometimes there are just no words to describe the lessons I am processing.

Here are a few updates:

1. I am participating in a book club relating to Beth Moore's newest trade book, "So Long Insecurity." Check it out here on Beth Moore's blog. It is not too late - in fact, I do not have my book yet. Hurry up, Amazon!

2. I am also participating in a Lenten Study here. This study is taking place at my "home" church in Prairie Village, Kansas. Pastor Ken Lightcap's sermons are available here. Should anyone choose to participate in this study, contact the church office to inquire about purchasing the accompanying devotional book. Rumor has it that I may or may not be contributing to the Lenten blog.

3. In looking forward to Lent, I am pondering how to simplify life in order to prepare the way for experiencing God during this special season. My initial thoughts revolve around the time I spend at my computer in the evenings. First, I believe I will limit my blog reading to 3 inspirational blogs that I am committed to for spiritual purposes. Beth Moore - for the "So Long Insecurity" study, Lysa TerKuerst - for the spiritual retreat that I coordinate during Lent, and the Nall Avenue Lenten Study for obvious reasons. Second, I will limit Facebook to communication only (i.e., no lurking). Third, I will limit checking my email - in any form - to once a night during the week, and twice a day when I am home all day.

Don't laugh at me! You think I should give up all of these things completely for Lent, don't you? In my estimation, that would be like never answering the phone or the door during Lent. It just wouldn't work....

What will change as a result of these ideas? IDK, but I plan to make more room in my life for God to spontaneously direct my path.

I am still in the consideration and praying phase of making these determinations, so the plan is tentative.

Won't you consider how to approach Lent in such a way that God might personally meet you. It's exciting!!!

Here begins the Good News about Jesus the Messiah, the Son of God. In the book of the prophet Isaiah, God said, “Look, I am sending my messenger before you, and he will prepare your way. He is a voice shouting in the wilderness: ‘Prepare a pathway for the Lord’s coming! Make a straight road for him!’” Mark 1:1-3 (NLT)

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, sweet one, on your Lenten discipline! I, too, love Lent and have given up a portion of my computer as well. I no longer turn the thing on until I have met with the Lord in our designated place during these 40 days. Of course, I should have been doing that all along, but waiting for my coffee to brew was always just an opportune time to see what I missed during the night hours. How pathetic can one be??? I encourage you to keep up the good work as we both enter into the passion of our Lord Jesus.

    ReplyDelete